Digital Detox

Monday, August 10, 2015

This past week (the first week of being without a job), I've been purging all unnecessary items from my life. I've cleaned and organized everything I own- letting go of anything that doesn't bring me joy or that I never use anymore. It's crazy how much lighter I feel already. I'm not weighed down by all this crap that I've been carrying around for years. I had 4 huge boxes of heavy music that I've had since high school (not playing more than a few of the pieces anymore) and I've lugged that stuff around for the past 20 years! Not anymore.

And now that that's done, I'm moving on to phase 2: digital detox.

I'm addicted to my phone. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Email and Texting. These are the worst offenders for me. I love social media for so many reasons (and it can be such a great way to keep in touch with people I've known through the years), but it is addictive. I have to see what my friends have posted on Instagram! What's the latest engagement or baby announcement on Facebook? It makes me feel connected to the people I care about (which is not a bad thing), but I also get sucked into having to check it all the time. I think it'll be good to have a break and be able to focus more on being present.

I'm headed to Yosemite today for a week of camping and hiking. The reception there is minimal anyway, so I'll be unplugged while I'm there. A week isn't a long time, but knowing me- I'll feel the separation from my beloved devices. But the trees, mountains, streams, and hills (hopefully not bears) will be my companions.

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir

0 comments:

Lindapalooza All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger